You are here

FAQs - Probation


Q: I know of a family member who is on Federal probation/supervised release, can you tell me what crime they committed?

The U.S. Probation Office may release information that is typically available to the public.  However, most convictions can be found in public records. These public records are maintained by the U.S. District Court Clerk.

Q: I have been released from federal prison, how soon do I have to report for supervision?

Once released from custody, you are required to report to your assigned U.S. Probation Officer within 72 hours of release, which includes weekends and holidays. Please call your assigned U.S. Probation Officer between 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m., for instructions on where to report.

Q: I am on probation/supervised release. Am I allowed to leave the state?

The District of Montana is comprised of 56 counties. You are allowed to travel freely within these counties, unless you are specifically restricted by the Court or your U.S. Probation Officer.  

Q: What is the procedure for the drug testing program also known as Phase Testing Program?

Phase Testing is a random urinalysis system that requires participants to call the hotline on a daily basis, listen for a designated number and report to the required location on the specified day for submission. You are to remember your designated number/color to ensure you report on the proper day.

Q: How can I have my probation/supervised release terminated early?

You are eligible to request early termination from probation or supervised release under the following circumstances:

  • Statutorily after you have completed at least one year of supervision, your attorney can petition the Court.  However in the District of Montana, you must have completed at least two-thirds (2/3) of your ordered term of supervision unless you have demonstrated extraordinary efforts.

If you have been convicted of a serious felony and/or have a history of violence, your case will not be considered for early termination.

Q: I have a family member/friend who is scheduled to be released from prison. They were convicted in federal court in another district or state but want to reside in the District of Montana. How can his/her case be transferred?

The offender must request transfer of jurisdiction through his/her Bureau of Prisons Case Manager. When the request is made by the case manager, the U.S. Probation Office will conduct an investigation to determine whether the offender may transfer and report its findings to the Bureau of Prisons. The transfer of jurisdiction may only occur with approval from the district that would receive and supervise the offender.

Q: I am an employer and I want to know if a prospective employee has been convicted of a crime, can you run a background check?

The U.S. Probation Office is restricted from disclosing information to the public. However, most convictions are generally available in public records. These records are maintained by the U.S. District Court Clerk.

Q: What are the standard conditions of probation the court must impose?

Individuals on supervision are required by the Court to abide by certain rules. These rules are called the conditions of supervision. They are basically the same whether the person is on probation, parole, military parole, mandatory release, or supervised release.  For a list of conditions, see Pre-2016 Standard Conditions of Supervision and Post-2016 Standard Conditions of Supervision